Wednesday, May 8, 2013

profit and anti-culture

My mother recently was explaining that she feels as though she is being absolutely harassed by doctors!

First, there is the case of the doctor who implanted a chip in her breast--without informing her in advance, let alone getting prior consent!

And, then, more recently, there is the case of the doctor's administrative assistant who keeps calling to"remind" my mother that she needs a mammogram.

My mother is eighty-six, almost eighty-seven years old.  And a couple of years ago, a doctor who was an expert told her----after an especially painful mammogram---that she didn't really need to have them anymore.

My mother's diagnosis is that this has got more to do with money than health.  They want access to the dollars available through her Medicare Insurance.

There's lots to be said here.  However, it is clear that the medical system is, at this point, not serving my mother well.

A related, but different point.

Recently a food expert appeared on Democracy Now.  His remarks about the adulteration of flour could have been taken right out of Marx's 'Capital', Volume One.

Moreover, he said quite clearly that the reason we ever got white flour is the profit motive.  He wasn't the sort to push the political implications of this.  However, I am.  Here's our health, at the most basic level, under attack by capitalism.........

Did you say "change"?  "Time for a change?"  I think I heard someone say that...............

No comments:

Post a Comment