Thursday, July 21, 2011

Imsickofallthisugliness

Once again I found myself in a doctor's waiting area.
Behind me a television boomed the story of a murder.
We were told about the upper middle class home.
There was speculation about who did it.
It seemed to me that there was great stress placed upon the comfort of the home,
letting us know which class the victim belonged to.
Of course, in the USA, the word "class" is never really used. It is only quoted or mocked.
Or, it is used to complain about what someone has said, and evade honest argument.
The noise I was subjected to represented tabloid journalism at its worst.
However, when I complained to one of the ladies, someone did turn the volume down.
And, I was genuinely thankful, even if the broader picture of ugliness continues to disturb me.
The excesses of R. Murdoch and his sycophants draws attention, but the crap I overheard in the doctor's office passes without notice. The problem is bigger than Murdoch. Even if he goes, the bigger problem remains. And it will.

recommeded reading:

Paul Street on the invisibility of America's working class in media depictions of America


One might say, with a nod to Vijay Prashad, that most Americans don't live in America,
but the better off around the world do.

No comments:

Post a Comment