Wednesday, September 22, 2010

in passing....

I am a regular reader of the Leiter Reports, and have only praise for Professor Leiter.
Yet, I cannot resist commenting upon his (dare I say it) "austere" academic prose...
(surely a register of English which it is valuable to have in one's linguistic repertoire for all kinds of reasons.)
He is now running a discussion about the job market which "may be unusually austere".
It is no criticism of him, I hope, if I say that in plain English one could say that the job market in philosophy is SHIT or SHITTY....

Ahh, yess I can't help recalling the letter I got from the APA as I was just about to begin graduate school. Written undoubtedly in straightforward language, it warned me of my slim job prospects. Being only twenty years old and very inexperienced, I took it as a death sentence..
But let's not get into that now.....except to say, I've often wondered whether it did me more harm than good.... and (to be brutally frank) I wonder whether it wasn't about some people who just wanted to cover their asses.....

CAVEAT: I've just taken another look at Leiter's blog. He begins by saying the job market is "very bad".... so even his use of austere academic prose is balanced by that very frank headline.... (But I let what I've said stand because it might have some amusement value)...

No comments:

Post a Comment