Thursday, September 23, 2010

assholes

basically, the people who run the USA (and the world) are assholes.
they totally fuck up other peoples' lives--and they just don't care.

I do not find it adequate to say: they are like tyrants with disordered souls, who do not really know what they are doing....

These assholes live lives of great privilege and they do so on the backs of the suffering of others.
It's somehow just not adequate to say: they (the assholes) are really unhappy--even though they don't know it. Even if true, it leaves out the misery they cause.

At the same time, I recognize that it is also unhealthy to wish to harm another human being. So, in that sense, punishment is out.

But what is the proper reaction? Yes, making the truth known and public is good. That must be part of a wise reaction. Indeed, the truth when made public can be disturbing for the people responsible for suffering.

But, then again, I don't expect to see wide scale public truth telling anytime soon...
Note (added Sunday 3 October)
"asshole" (not to mention the "f" word) is of course vulgar and as a teacher of English as a Second or Foreign language, I would strongly recommend to my students that they avoid using it. Nonetheless, it is a word of English. If I were to attempt justify my judgments above, I might begin by using some of the following sources:
Does the United States behave badly?
See Richard W. Miller, Globalizing Justice, Oxford University Press, 2010.
Who really runs the USA?
See: G. William Domhoff, Who Rules America?, fifth edition, 2006, McGraw-Hill
Merely by adding these references I do not show that what I have said is correct, but it does suggest, at the very least, that there is some room for argument in favor of what I am saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment