Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What I didn't Say

It was, I suppose, about two months ago that I visited Vienna...
and at night or in the morning in my room in the hostel I marveled at the silence.
No cars.
No booming stereos.
No barking dogs.
I reveled in the quiet, in the calm. I was in heaven.

But now I am in hell.
Since my return to El Paso I have suffered every day with the noise.

what kind of country is this?
What sort of people are these who don't give a damn if their barking dog disturbs their neighbor or their pounding stereo robs someone of their sanity?

They are "Americans".
GET ME OUT OF HERE

What I didn't say: when I called the police to complain about a noisy neighbor...

NOTE
Why are people this way? Markets do it. Capitalism does it.
See Robin Hahnel, "The ABC's of Political Economy", Pluto Press, 2002, Chapter Four, "Markets: Guided by an Invisible Hand or Foot?"

No comments:

Post a Comment