Monday, July 26, 2010

Ugliness

El Paso is an ugly place.

There is not a day when I am not subjected to barking dogs.--Dogs that bark as I try to read. Dogs whose barking destroys my attempt to concentrate.

And then there are the dogs who throw themselves at the fence which prevents them from biting me as I walk past....

According to the American fantasy world, the secular religion of consumerism and phony freedom, buying dogs is an expression of one's personality, a free choice to enter the world of consumer products, an essential part of the domestic image: house, family, pets.

Yet this world is equally a world which enslaves the home owner. A person with a mortgage doesn't want to go on strike. And when you need pets, fences, etc., etc.,...You work to pay your bills and go around in a vicious circle.... apparently without noticing it.

Oh yes, dogs are sweet, loving, care for you, give you the love no one else gives you.
All that is true. But that's not enough to make a life. It's more like a momentary distraction from the lack of respect you have to live with in the vast majority of your life.

Get me out of here! This is as close to hell as I wish to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment