Friday, August 28, 2009

Unfriendly, Unpleasant El Paso, Texas

It would appear that neither the good citizens nor the mayor of El Paso Texas
know that last year

BETWEEN 300,000 and 400,000 people died as a result of global warming

and that's a conservative estimate.

I just got back from walking to my local library. It's a thirty minute walk one way.

As I walk, large trucks and a few cars zooom by. At the light, I see a proud young
man with sunglasses, proud of his youth and his shiny car.

But I would like to say to him: owning a car is no achievement. The scientific
and technological
discoveries necessary to make a car were hard won, but you have nothing to do with them.

And I would like to remind him that when he uses his car he contributes to global
warming,
and people have already died, and more will die...

Then there's the unkempt situation of the sidewalks I use. Most have stones and
weeds. In one case the sidewalk is covered with dust and dirt.

Most houses have large stone walls around them. The sidewalks are public, so
the attitude seems to be: who cares?

Then I get to a stoplight. Before I can finish crossing four lanes, the light changes.
The driver opposite is considerate enough to wait for me to cross. I am not walking slowly,
but I would have to run in order to cross before the light will change.
Behind the patient driver, another car starts honking from impatience.

I would like to say to that driver: Am I supposed to fly across the street?
Why are you in such a hurry?

In El Paso Texas, pedestrians have no rights.
Cars don't like us.
The city does its best to discourage us.

Unfriendly, unpleasant El Paso, Texas.

See also my 18 August post for another story about unfriendly drivers.

Drive friendly? Ha Ha Ha. What a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment