Tuesday, August 18, 2009

angry and primitive

I am finding the USA to be a very unhappy country.

I note with sadness the absolute lack of grocery stores in El Paso.

Contrast that with the enormous number of purveyors of junk food.

Exercise for a sociologist:  what is the proportion of junk food shops to real food shops?
I predict that the higher the ratio of real grocery stores, the healthier the population.

Angry?

Yesterday I crossed five lanes of traffic to reach my bus stop.

Of course, I waited for a gap in the traffic.  I am not suicidal.

When I reached the bus stop, as a car sped past on the opposite side of
the street, the driver screamed at me at the top of his lungs:

"XXXX****!!! Get out of the f...ing street!"

By that time, I was out of the street; so his anger was directed at an activity
of mine which had terminated.

I had not interfered with his contributing to global warming.

So, why was he so angry?

It was very disturbing.

REally, between 300,000 and 400,000 people died last year as a result
of global warming.  I should be mad at him.

But it seems to me that people just don't care.

Anyway, it was unpleasant, and I never had such an experience in Europe.
Are Americans really so sick as to believe they have a right to drive cars?
And to drive cars fast?

Are pedestrians really people with less rights than global warming fans?

And the guy yelling at me, to judge by his accent, was another gringo....

The sort of thing that makes me eager to leave this country asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment