Thursday, September 13, 2012

What strange ideas you have!

El Pasoans have strange ideas!

E.g., Today I spoke briefly to a lady who remarked that some parts of the Czech Republic
were "still poor".

Of course, what they call "Communism" never did mean poverty.   It did mean a certain
dull grayness, but not exactly poverty.

On the other hand, I regard El Paso, Texas as a very poor community.  Moreover, I believe the average household earning is well below the USA average...

But I think El Paso is poor because the over-abundance of vehicles and businesses selling unhealthy food, not to mention an over-abundance of churches together create a certain atmosphere...

And then there is the absence, let's say, of bookstores.......

So, I really don't know what someone who lives in El Paso might possibly mean when they describe parts of the Czech Republic as poor.  (I assume they did not visit a Roma settlement.)

Perhaps they mean there is an absence of the technology that USA-ans seem to regard as essential.
I don't know.  But I shall be glad to leave El Paso, and live in the Czech Republic instead......

No comments:

Post a Comment