Monday, September 17, 2012

Amazing things.......

An amazing thing I heard...

Recounting recent incidents where Afro-Americans had been murdered by the police,
I met with astonishment from one educated European.  Therefore, I offer the following links below:

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/4/11/grand_jury_probes_killing_of_kenneth

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/7/19/headlines/report_110_african_americans_killed_by_police_security_guards_and_vigilantes_in_2012


Comment:  I neglected to explain to my sceptical audience that the police do not deny that shootings have occurred, but they try to find reasons to justify them.  I myself find the police explanations implausible.  Also it seems to me that the depth of racism in the USA is not recognized by Europeans with whom I have spoken.  Of course, by racism I do not have in mind explicit attitudes --although they do exist--but largely implicit structures, institutional factors, as well as attitudes which need not lead to overtly racist language.

No comments:

Post a Comment