Thursday, January 20, 2011

The obscenity of "hardship"

Words can be cruel. They can cut like a knife. And when I've been cut, I don't apologize for screaming.....

The entity called the Department of Aging and Disability recently informed me (through the vehicle of an actual person, of course) that...

Were my aged father and mother to receive the help they need--though note that the word "need" is mine, not that of any government agency or representative thereof--any money whatsoever left behind by my parents would go to the state to pay for the services rendered.... (Note an ambiguity in what I've written: a sufficiently large estate would not be wiped out, but in many cases a moderate estate would be.... Here we should look at what happens in the case of inheritance among the truly rich---the sort of people who would never ask for the sort of help we're talking about...... but that's just the little bit of hypocrisy behind this whole disgusting matter...)

However, in the event that an unmarried child had lived in the home for a year (presumably caring for the parent or parents) prior to the death of the last remaining parent, it would be a case of what they call "hardship", and the state would make no claim upon remaining property or money.

"Hardship"
The online Cambridge dictionary gives the following entry for that word:
"(something which causes) difficult or unpleasant conditions of life, or an example of this.." (added bold)

Let's think about this. I've been helping my parents. Has this caused me hardship? I can't work and take care of them; and if I did work and try to take care of them, that would be very, very difficult.

But is it "difficult" and "unpleasant"? Of course it is difficult. But then life itself is! Isn't it? Is it unpleasant to live with your parents? Sometimes, but not always.

But how dare they presume to describe my relationship with my family!??!!! How intrusive!
How disrespectful!


But, suppose I'm just in denial. Suppose my situation is actually very unpleasant and difficult.
Surely the thought must be: more difficult and unpleasant than the norm or average.

But I don't like any of that. We might equally well describe what I'm doing in the following fashion:

The Health Care System has failed to give my parents the help they need and deserve.
I've been making up for that failure.

To say that would be to characterize what I've been doing in positive terms. So, an honest statement would be the following:

We won't sweep down like vultures on any money or valuables left by deceased parents if it should happen that an unmarried child has been doing our job for us....

Alternatively, it would be unfair to penalize a person who had been saving the Don't Care System money....Hey! Maybe they should pay me for the year I've been here! Now, that's an idea!

Second thoughts:

Let's see. How about this? You give me some money now, and later I'll give you something.... say health care....Okay? Fair enough.

Now, let's try a different scenario. You work hard all your life, and you give me money. That money is for you, to take care of you when you get older. Now, when you get older, and you need that money back in the form of help (paid services), I say, "Okay, I'll help you, but when we're done, you'll have to pay me again."

That's pretty damn rotten. Lousy!

Oh yeah: I know that this sort of thing is happening all over the world. We are all getting fucked..... (and just who is it that is fucking us? hmmmmm, good question)

What's that I hear?? A voice saying: There is no "who"! It is the impersonal (and objective and fair ha ha ha ha) laws of ECONOMICS (all bow before the mighty God!)

Sorry. I don't believe that for one minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment