Thursday, January 13, 2011

mean Wien/Ugly Vienna? Wien?

"Mean Wien"--this blog's original title-- was a reflection of my experience in Wien as a wage-slave.

I won't go into the details of my employment. If you're interested you can find out about that in earlier postings at this site. (See, esp. August 5, 2009, "Cao for Now"....)

Today my strongest memory of Wien is of the people there---people who I miss very much....

By contrast with El Paso, Texas, Wien has a real public transport system, and generally higher quality food in the grocery stores. Are there nice people in El Paso? Frankly, I don't know; but don't take that as a scientific statement. My social contacts are currently extremely restricted. I'm not going to make an attempt to be objective and distance myself from the bad mood I am currently in and have been in since I came to this sunburned outpost of empire.

I know that there are earlier posts where I complained about rude people in Wien's UBahn, but I would gladly trade my current life for the life I knew in Wien--even with occasionally rude people in the U-Bahn and dog shit on the sidewalks in my neighborhood....

I would like to return there, and also live there.... but at present my freedom of movement is severely limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment