Sunday, November 21, 2010

misery

There are many sorts of misery and many sorts of sadness.
The misery and sadness of aging.
An old man who was, when young, an athlete, and who today is almost crippled.
That is a very sad thing.

But in this country, this so-called "great" country, I see not only sadness,
but also disrespect, a lack of fundamental humanity,
in the absurd hierarchies of doctors and nurses and medical workers,
with their needless slavery to the corporation's greed for profits,
the greed for money and power by the already rich and powerful...
an obscene spectacle

And, then, too there are the banal and mundane stupidities,
banal and mundane obscenities of Puritanism,
such as
when I was about to cross the street,
I was stopped by a young man, a teenager, asking me if I woudn't buy
beer for him....

that is obscene. A crime against humanity by a blind society ignorant of how to live.
Why should this young man have to ask strangers in this way?
what secret dangerous wicked concoction must beer be?
Obviously it is more poisonous than I have ever guessed if it so jealously hidden, and
guarded from young adults.

So superstitious is this country in its Puritanism.

And so evil the way this puritanism feeds into an obscene glorification of the slavery which is falsely dignified with the name"work".

Then, too, at KMART I saw UGLINESS.

The workers at KMart desperately need to unionize.

I spoke with a woman there who told me THEY ARENOT ALLOWED TO DECIDE WHEN THEY WILL GO TO THE BATHROOM. They can only urinate or defacate on schedule.

That means that the corporation KMART treats them disrespectfully, in complete contempt for their dignity and autonomy as human beings.

KMART ... . yet another private tyranny in a land where only the word "democracy" is heard, while the concept, the thing itself is dead.....

Then too, signs of the greed of our ruling class are everywhere in KMArt: loud music telling me to be happy, telling me to shop... all brutal in its ugliness. . . . shameful in its disrespect.. . . I think I might stop buying in the month of December just to avoid the sounds of lying cheerfulness.........

No comments:

Post a Comment