Friday, August 20, 2010

"I'd love to hear from you!"

"How are we doing?" said the little counter sign in the local coffee shop run by a large corporation...
"Comments? Questions? Praise?"

"I'd love to hear from you!"

And below it, the manager's business card, with the bold bright company logo.

Well, actually what I'd like to say is: What the hell kind of country is this where people throw away other people's socks? I once left a pair of socks--brand new socks--in the bathroom. Let's not go into details, but I had been trying them on... and rushing off to catch a slow and inefficient El Paso bus I forgot them...And they were new. Either someone took them or someone threw them away.

So, what kind of country is this? Either stealing or throwing away someone's socks!

That indicates a fundamental lack of disrespect!

Get me out of here!!!

I'd just love to hear from you! (Really?) Debra Satz does comment about the work of Arlie Hochschild as follows:

....Arlie Hochschild has found that the sale of "emotional labor" by airline stewardesses and insurance salesmen distorts their normal responses to pain and frustration.

(Debra Satz, Why Some Things Should Not Be For Sale, p. 226, n. 27; referring to Hochschild, The Managed Heart.)

Is such emotional contortionism really necessary to survive in the "land of the free"?

get me out of here

Oh yeah, and now that I think about it: There are the little medals pinned onto the caps of the people serving assorted beverages. Medals! Like the military! Sorry, that is just a waste of resources. Did someone say that capitalism by its very nature is wasteful?

And is somebody on twenty-four hour call to hear that the milk wasn't really low fat or some other inane complaint?

Isn't there something more important to do with twentieth century technology than create a space for me to complain that my skinny laté isn't skinny enough?

Talk about encouraging pettiness and egocentric desires! Can our outlook possibly become narrower? Talking about crowding the public space with egocentric desires! But the desires are limited, aimed at simulacrums of happiness, not the real thing.
(Do you really want me to say "simulacra"? Ha Ha Ha!)

Get me out of here!

No comments:

Post a Comment