Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Grouch Reads

THE GROUCH READS:

Debra Satz,
Why Some Things Should Not Be For Sale (Oxford UP)


http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Philosophy/Political/?view=usa&ci=9780195311594


Reading this book should help me understand why I have been pissed off for about twenty years--pissed off with the indignities one suffers when one looks for a job.

There are two principles we can borrow from the author:

1. No one should have to beg.

2. No one should push people around.

My employers have been pushy and I've often been reduced to the status of a beggar.

That's fucked up.

The author writes in an elegant, generally understated, academic prose style and the work is a controlled exercise. My blog lacks the restraint of her book, for which I make no apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment