Wednesday, January 9, 2013

unimpressed

To hear the managers at Apple talk about it, you would think that ordinary citizens in the USA are beating down their doors, demanding new technology.... Myself, I am unimpressed. Our technology cannot provide me with shoes that fit. And, this has been, for me, a life-long problem. The last time I purchased a pair of shoes that actually fit was in Bratislava in 2007 or 2008. Since that time I have shopped for shoes in Prague, Vienna, and El Paso, Texas, and, in every case, I have come up without a pair of shoes that fit properly. Nor do I believe that my problem is unique. If I look at my father's feet, I can see his toes have been squeezed together from years of shoe-wearing. Toes that are constricted do not provide a stable platform for walking, and the act of constriction does not encourage the free circulation of blood. (Forgive me for saying the obvious. But those obvious facts, it would seem, are poorly served by our so-called high tech culture.) What we have here is not civilization, but rather the opposite.

No comments:

Post a Comment