Thursday, January 24, 2013

July 2009

Returning to El Paso

That time when I went home,
I arrived late,
and an unexpected gift was waiting for me:

Behind two doors,
opening them,
unlatching the one,
stood my father,
and his arm moved,
not exactly waving,
but there was a gesture full of meaning,
not a wave,
not a salute,
far from being a port-de-bras,
and nothing like a child tossing a brightly colored ball,
but,
it was a gesture which fit exactly,
his age,
and health conditin.

It was a joyous semi-demi-wave,
a clear and unambiguous expression of sheer joy,
and his love for me.

I was amazed, dumb-founded,
and could only register, notice, see it,
and remain full of it,
absorbed by it.

And now I am no less,
standing back in amazement,
in admiration and wonder,
silenced by this mystery:
that he should feel so happy,
at the mere sight of me.

Pardubice
27 October, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment