Monday, December 17, 2012

a poem

An Intensive course is Expensive; but we Guarantee Results!


Tired of being alone?

Learn to live with it! In twelve easy lessons.

---At An affordable price too!!




I am practicing the art of loneliness.
I remember people who I hardly know,
but have seen,
or spoken to,
and I imagine that they are better,
more lively,
more beautiful,
than anyone could be.


I envy people in pairs or groups,
and look down upon their frivolity;
I take refuge in the profundity,
of my stern alone-ness.


I am so serious about it all,
that I must be doing something important,
even if all I'm doing is hiding my loneliness.


I feel odd if I go outside,
but alone,
at home,
with my thoughts,
I go mad.

Re-tracing what I should have done,
but didn't do,
remembering moments of pain and anxiety,
false steps on the road to social isolation.

I remember all of it,
and can change none of it,
and travel in a pointless, painful circle,
Until, finally, I will run through the door,
burst onto the street,
and meet no one,
except a cold wind,
snow half-melted and half frozen,
and the whoosh of passing cars.

And, then,
I will stoutly,
bravely,
falsely,
pretend that I know where I am going,
why I am here,
and if I should meet someone,
anyone,
who knew me,
I would want to hug them,
and pull them close,
not let them leave,
because,
finally I can't stand it any more:
This being alone.


And so I am an easy target,
and almost a willing victim.


I am a very bad practitioner of the art of being alone.




Copyleft 2012 Mark J. Lovas
All rights reserved

You are not allowed to copy for commercial purposes.
You are not allowed to change anything.

Not allowed to splice and dice or embed my text in your something.

Copying for creative or educational purposes is encouraged so long as originál authorship is retained and no changes are made.

Poetry is not a commodity.
Human beings are not commodities.



No comments:

Post a Comment