Wednesday, October 15, 2014

pre-literate or just creatures from a Kafka novel?

My latest unpleasant experience with the "ladies" of the University of Pardubice Housing Authority leaves me in astonishment at the depth of the inhumanity so easily propagated by women who have the ability to deny me clean clothes.

They sit, sphinx-like behind a thick plane of glass (is it bullet-proof?) and it isn't so easy to hear them.  Due to the think glass, they seem to communicate silently with one another-- as if I were an intruder.  And they take a smug satisfaction in saying "no".

All I want to do is wash my clothes.  I will even not complain about the perversity of the fact that my employer is renting the washing machines to me.

I found myself wondering whether for this segment of the Czech population literacy is not a completely absorbed cultural artifact because the rules change and are never written down.

The rules for the use of the washing machines have never, to my knowledge, been written down or announced, and I must discover them anew whenever I trudge across the street (sometimes busy with dangerously speedy and impatient cars) and across the lawn to the large dormitory where the ladies sit behind their protective glass cage.  

Today, once again, they have invented a new rule.   No washing after 6pm.  Why?  Someone complained.  Well, I am complaining now, as I have before---but no one listens to me. They smile
in an indulgent sort of way, as if to say, "Here he goes again......"

This is 2014, yet the habits of the old system, prior to Communism, seem to live.  If you are a bureaucrat or any sort of official, associated with the monarchy, you are superior to other people.  And you need not explain yourself to them.  They must follow your rules.  Resentment, Schadenfreude, all the nasty things Nietzsche attributed to Christianity seem fully present in the sub-group within atheistic Czech society.

I would like to suggest, once again, that the University of Pardubice, on its website should embroider the housing branch with the motto:
UPCE Housing,
Where WE make the Rules,
and YOU:  PAY AND OBEY!

No comments:

Post a Comment