Sunday, October 12, 2014

Mundane Totalitarianism at the University of Pardubice

A couple of months ago, they put locks on the washing machines---that's in addition to the fact that they are behind a locked door.  At the time I thought it was a waste of money.  What's needed is more washing machines, and larger washing machines. (And dryers!)  Right now, we have a building with, oh I don't know, maybe twelve stories, and many people living here.  Two little machines aren't enough.

I have to trudge across a busy street to get the keys---after having the money deducted from my salary.

Today I was informed that I am no longer allowed to use two washing machines at once.---And they are small washing machines.  I cannot wash everything I have even with two machines.----I am only allowed to use one machine, but (oh so generously) for four hours.

Well, I would like to use two machines and finish in two hours.  I don't have that option.  So, in effect my time is being robbed.  I am being fined two hours every time I do laundry.  Two hours are stolen from me, and that's going to happen at least four times a month.  Not an insignificant waste of my time.

When I asked who was responsible for that decision, I was not told.  Indeed, when I pursued the matter, the other the UPce employee became increasingly evasive. I am not allowed to know the name of the person who has robbed me of my time.  Since I am not even allowed to make a complaint, my opinion is completely disregarded.  Strange, I thought democracy meant openness. Strange, I thought democracy meant transparency. Well, at any rate in this case, the University of Pardubice Housing Authority is very un-transparent and very un-democratic.

There was no discussion in advance.  There was no explanation in advance or after the fact.  The decision was announced as a fait accomplis.  That's called the arbitrary and non-democratic exercise of power.  In colloquial American, one might even refer to that as "fascism"--although, I know, on the authority of Andy Levine, distinguished author of a dictionary of Political Words, that to do so would not be, strictly speaking, correct.

Someone has decided for me how I shall spend my time.  They have done so without prior discussion.  I was not consulted and my opinion (about how I shall use my time) has been disregarded.  A nameless person is running my life for me. 

In keeping with what seems to me to be a local fondness for advertising/marketing, I suggest that the Housing Authority of the University of Pardubice should adopt the motto: 
UPce Housing Authority:
WE make the Rules;
You PAY and OBEY.

No comments:

Post a Comment