Sunday, September 29, 2013

disbelief

The Gringo is very naive.  He cannot believe the things people say, even when (especially when) he is a participant in the conversation....

"Students are not allowed to lock their doors.."

Unspoken implication:  students have no right to privacy.....

Spoken response:  "I am not a student...."

"I know that..."

Then why are you telling me about your mistreatment of students?

Jeez Louise, even students deserve a little privacy.  What a monster you really are.....

Note carefully what's going on here.  When the monster mindlessly recites the rules, she is not merely informing ignorant me of a fact; she is also asserting her superiority. She knows the rules and I don't.  The fact that she mindlessly repeats them is irrelevant.  Her knowledge is a sort of stick with which she will beat people.  She really is a sort of monster.....

No comments:

Post a Comment