Sunday, February 3, 2013

heroes of the revolution

Thoughts after watching a brief documentary on television.........


The Heroes of 1989


They really haven't got a clue!
I thought to myself,
as I heard the theatre director,
or actor,
or both,
--And he is evidently living a comfortable life--
Speak about the fear
he'd learned under communism,
and how it won't go away.
And I thought to myself,
Fear?!
I'll tell youabout fear:
fear under Capitalism.

Living with fear,
every day,
and every day,
for decades,
for a lifetime:
Knowing you could lose your job,
and your home,
and your health insurance.
Knowing you could end up
sleeping in your car,
or under a bridge.

If you said the wrong thing to your boss,
and pissed her off,
or just annoyed her,
Or even if you did and said absolutely nothing at all,
because
Capitalism is,
in that sense,
completely impersonal in its cruelty.

And, then, I thought,
Of course,
these are relatively privileged individuals,
who attended the most prestigious of schools,
and they are,
of course,
consequently,
blind to their place in the hierarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment