Tuesday, August 16, 2011

medical don't care

The other day I came across a small glossy brochure created by the manufacturer of a specific pain medicine. It happens to be the medicine my mother was prescribed by a Neurologist.

Herr Neurologist has stressed his superiority to ordinary doctors. Moreover, he has been a university teacher, training doctors.

I confess that I see no evidence that he has teaching skills. He has not, in general, impressed me with his ability to provide clear explanations, although I can think of one counter-example to that general claim. Perhaps it is my biological and chemical ignorance, but I doubt it. Indeed, this doctor has impressed me most of all with his specific approach, the way he represents himself as a superior individual.

A few months ago when I asked a question about the medicine he had prescribed for my mother, his answer was to give me a small brochure manufactured by the manufacturer of the medicine--i.e., a bit of advertising.

I wonder if he realizes how stupid that is. Today, with the internet, it is very easy for me to acquire relatively more independent information at the pages of the NEH.

Probably, he did not for one minute think about what he was doing, or what he had done--namely, to respond to a question for information with a bit of advertising.

This is one example which illustrates the sort of experiences I have had in the past two years, experiences which lead me to speak of the USA don't care health system. I also have formed a very low opinion of doctor's in general, though I admit that this particular doctor is a special case.

No comments:

Post a Comment