Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Nothing in particular

EO Wright does make a brief mention of the inefficient and wasteful transportation system of the USA.

my daily experience resounds with his scholarly detached observation. I do not apologize for that property which others refer to as my emotionalism.

The memory of Karlskirche... the crowded U-bahn..... Turkish mothers with their strollers....
chance conversations in a language I don't recognize.... or even Slovak or Czech....
There is nothing in this sun drenched city to compare to that...

Or is it that I don't know Spanish?

I don't like the streets of El Paso....the mean, truck-filled streets....dogs barking at me in the suburban neighborhoods,
sometimes they are silly
like the four tiny chihuaha rat dogs that pipe their silly voices at me just before I cross the too wide street
or the more vicious sounding large dogs that bound at me and seem determined to jump over the fence which
protects me from them

insanity
whence the desire to have a small bit of turf and fill it with a shit-generating animal?

the unpleasantness of this city
crossing a street, a too-wide street, made unpleasant by the cruel sun
and the anxious knowledge that some car or enormous truck wants to turn left at the light
and I am impeding their progress

In truth I knew that unpleasantness equally in Wien as well
when I went for my daily teaching task to that horrific ungodlybuilding of the uniqa insurance firm
and it was no less unpleasant to perceive the impatient cars
though few of them were enormous trucks
and i did not experience the burning sensation caused by
a
merciless
sun

No comments:

Post a Comment