Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wien Culture

I recently overheard two foreigners discussing Wien's culture.

"Such a cultural city!", they said.

That's why so many people read Heute, I guess....

A student once remarked that if so many people read it every day, then he
wanted to read it too....

Undoubtedly, there is such an instinct, the herd instinct or whatever you want to call it....

But the free daily newspaper "Heute" is hardly more than a mix of propaganda and advertising....

And it tells you something about the culture of Vienna if so many people read it....

What must it do to the mind? To read only short articles lacking in analysis or detail?
appealing above all to popular prejudices? Reinforcing and intensifying them?

When I see very young people reading Heute, I feel much the same as when I see the very
young smoking....

Yes, Vienna has a very high level of culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment