Thursday, April 2, 2009

Wien-City of Dog Shit

Warning: See Apology below
Really!
But what do these people think? Oh, my dog is going to dirty this sidewalk..

But, hey, that's normal. Everyone does it.

Do they like the smell?
The color?

The way it sticks to your shoes?

But, I know WHY they do it. I discovered why in the local homeless paper...

in a quote from Bertolt Brecht:

and BRECHT SAID

THE HOUSE OF CULTURE IS BUILT OF DOG SHIT

Note (added 21 October 2010)
The source for the above:
AUGUSTIN, Nr. 248, 11.3-24.3.09, "Ohne Ablaufdatum special"
"Der Palast der Kultur ist auf Hundescheisse gebaut."
--Bertolt Brecht (1898-1956)

FURTHER NOTE/APOLOGY
added 28 October
I've just found out a little bit about the fuller context of Brecht's words.
That changes my picture of things, but I let this comment stand despite the erroneous
understanding which produced it--as a kind of warning about how selective quotation distorts meaning.

Added note; 25 January, 2011:
I gather that Brecht made this remark referring to Auschwitz; I do not know the full context, though I wish I did. When originally writing this entry I had in mind Vienna's fame as a city of culture--which, for me, stood in ugly contrast to my own degraded employment situation, the dogshit I saw on the streets, as well as the clear division between those who enjoy full employment with benefits and those who work to survive and do not enjoy full benefits, not to mention the hardships endured by the homeless--but all that, ugly though it is, is a far cry from Auschwitz.. Consequently, I was pulled up when I came to find out a bit about the fuller context. I continue to leave this entry as it is to provide a warning about the dangers of partial understanding...

Recommended Reading:  the April 4 entry (above)---"The Dog's Revenge" is itself a sort of note or after-thought....

No comments:

Post a Comment