Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Misery of the Personal Automobile

I must make a thirty minute trip to the other side of the mountain.
One part of me seems to be saying: What could you read during the trip?

But, then, I remember where I am. I must drive a personal automobile to the other side, expend gas, and waste my own time, as well as suffer anxiety about the speed, the other drivers, the bright sun shining in my eyes, etc., etc. Oh, yes, and I do contribute to climate change, which it seems, is spinning out of control...

All needless and wasteful. I deeply resent the fact that I cannot simply take the Metro. (Oh, yeah they call the local bus system "sun metro", but it's not a metro. El Paso is not a city, and the bus system is no metro. If you call something a metro, it had better be a train, an underground, a subway, or an elevated train, perhaps. And, in real cities, trains run more regularly than do the El Paso buses. If El Paso had a metro, I could make the trip in much less than thirty minutes. And, while I was traveling, I could relax, take a nap, or read an article/book.....You see I really do hate it here, and I hope that someday I will escape from this prison. I have absolutely nothing good to say about this place--nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment