Saturday, July 4, 2015

THE INTERNET IS CRAP

From time to time, I glance at the blog of a retired philosopher, from whom, I dare to say, I've learned a few things.
But I often find myself bothered by his tendency (occasional, to be sure) to be mesmerized by the possibilities of the internet.
I think there's a simple explanation for why I find his attitude unfathomable.
I've not got as much free time as he does.  So, when something goes wrong with my computer or with the internet--or if I simply fail to read a web page carefully--it's more of a problem for me than it would be for him.  (Not that he doesn't have occasional problems.)
But, on the whole my overall judgment is that the internet is crap, and it is getting worse.
Dealing with my computer is also crap because the damn thing is of low quality, and I am in no position to buy a new, better one.
So, it's the old problem of time and money.
Recently I misread a webpage.  Well, is that even the right verb?  The page had lots of information, and I failed to notice the bit which applied to me.  In my experience, that sort of thing occurs frequently.
Internet pages overwhelm us with colors and their flashing signs, and I don't like it.  It is rather like the familiar phenomenon of learning to ignore omnipresent advertising.
But note the difference between an old-fashioned phone call as a means of acquiring information and the web:  You can ask a specific question to a person at the other end of a telephone.  That is not possible with the Internet, and that's the source of many problems.
When I go online to find out the answer to a question, I am typically about to run from one place to another. If I make a mistake and get the wrong information, it has immediate unpleasant consequences.  I am sure that if I were retired, and not rushing about, I would have a different attitude toward the damn thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment