Friday, July 4, 2014

Am I too demanding?

My mother has just returned after spending the night at a sleep clinic.  Soon she will be sleeping better with the assistance of a machine.

I would have liked to have a description, in writing, of my mother's condition.  I've not gotten that.  True enough, I did not accompany my mother; instead her care-giver did so.  So, I relied upon what the care-giver told me.

Of course, I can go to the internet and read about sleep apnea.  That's not what I want.  It's too general--like the manufacturer-supplied-book I once had telling me about features of the automobile I owned, which also described features of automobiles I did not own.

Is the sleep doctor so busy or so illiterate that he can't type up a short report of my mother's condition in understandable language?

I don't think I'm too demanding, and I don't think this system of medical care is acceptable.

But I've forgotten the most important thing:  The care-giver did did come home with documents: a sort of form which discharged my mother from the facility, and directions on cleaning the machine she'll be using.

I repeat myself:  Would it really be too much to ask for a paragraph explaining my mother's condition and the functioning of the machine?  Is that so hard? So time-consuming?  I think not.  It is indicative of the impersonal nature of the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment