Sunday, November 20, 2011

On "Venting"

the philosopher Robert Solomon has written about the inappropriateness of the image of emotions as hydraulic creatures.

That sort of thing comes out in the fondness which Americans (citizens of the USA) have for the expression "venting".

I do not like that expression.

I do not like it when someone tells me that I am "venting"---as if I were a mere machine which
needed to release pressure or explode.

This USA language ignores the genuine content of what I have to say when I am angry or upset.

I don't get angry without reason.

This seems to be connected with a sort of cultural taboo. Anger is forbidden. And, due to the class nature of the society, and the extreme injustice which colors ordinary lives, perhaps
people revert to this image in order to excuse a momentary grasp of the fact that the society is terribly unjust.

Perhaps. But there is no doubt in my mind that the words "you are just venting" are only an excuse, and an evasion, a way to avoid looking the truth in the eye.

Another misery in a miserable country.

"No", I am not "just venting". I am a moral creature, capable of thought and feeling, who is saying something about the world I live in, and how I have been treated. I am reacting to injustice and stupidity. That is not merely something mechanical. It is a reaction out of which is built something better than the morass in which you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment