Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Don't grin and bear it

A couple of weeks ago I made a trip.
I haven't booked an airline ticket from within the USA in many years,
and I was amazed by the amount of work I was required to do.
The presumption was that I had a personal computer and printer, and I had
to print my boarding pass, etc.

Note well: I am not kidding. I was working. I was performing activities which
before the so-called computer revolution another person would have done for me.

And my fare was not cheaper as a result.

This included checking myself in at the airport.

This is a total rip-off.

Let's also mention the fact that the internet was developed and paid for with
taxpayer money. And, then once the bugs were worked out, it was and is being
SOLD BACK to us!

Note well: that means we are paying twice...

Thus the American system of so-called (wrongly called) "free" enterprise....

Interestingly enough, the lady at American Airlines, once I began to complain
that I was working harder as a passenger and not getting more for it,
joined in with her own complaint.

Very directly, very immediately, without prompting from me.

I respect her for that.

Later, on my return flight, I made some complaints about American Airlines
to a fellow traveller, and he added his own complaints.

I repeated to him the little incident above. Ahh, but for him that was wrong.
Why should we hear that someone is working harder for less?

On the contrary, I said, and still say, we all need to say it--on every possible occasion.

The system stinks. It is inhuman, unjust and inefficient.

And pretending otherwise is not merely cowardly, but also betrays a kind of false consciousness--something for which I have no respect.

And that is why I will continue to complain in my blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment