Saturday, April 17, 2010

THE CITY OF INDIVIDUALLY PILOTED BEASTS OF GLASS AND STEEL

Living as I do in the city of cars, and seeing so few people,
being forced to hear their noise as they whoosh by, and competing
with them as an unarmed citizen when I cross the parking lot of the
local abandoned shopping lot as I do ten or twelve times a week,
I often think about those who are uninformed about the existence
of anthropogenic climate change.

Recently I watched a video featuring a member of the "Tea Party".
She complained about many things, and I thought it was curious that many of
her beliefs were products of a propaganda system designed to benefit America's
ruling class. But she was right about one thing: climate justice is a lefty issue.

Now, that's not what she said. She referred, in a disparaging manner, to the
"Leftist" myth of climate change. (Well she didn't actually call it a "myth" but it was
some such similar term.)

I wasn't sure why she called it "Leftist" or "Liberal" (Again I've forgotten her exact word.)
But, after thinking about it, I decided that she was right--though not for the sort of reason
that would appeal to the Tea Party.

In brief, the leftist tradition is a tradition of justice and concern for the least fortunate.

The fact of climate change, caused by human activities, is, quite simply, a scientific fact.

But it does fit nicely with a concern for the least well off because the damage (here as in
so many cases) will fall mainly on the shoulders of the poorest among us.

There is much to be said here: about the actual moral depravity of what is called
"conservatism". But I cannot do better than Ted Honderich has done in his book, "Conservatism: From Burke to Bush and Blair."

And as a final thought, I cannot resist mentioning my older sister, who was taught
by the Loretto Nuns to be a "certain kind of person." She is among those who
know nothing about climate change, and comfortably drives around, living in order
to consume. I guess the Nuns of Lorretto never read Eric Fromm either!

I hope to fill in this entry with notes in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment